Monday, December 22, 2008

To live at the bottom of the world....


Do I want to live at the bottom of the world for 3 months??????



I've been seriously pondering this question for the last few days. To clarify, by the "bottom of the world" I mean Punta Arenas, Chile. It is in Patagonia, in the very south of South America, and it is one of the southernmost towns in the world that people inhabit. I applied for and was accepted for a journalism internship with Nomadas Outdoor Services, a company that covers the annual Patagonian Expedition Race- better known as "The Race at the Bottom of the World". Marta's question posed to me was, "So, when you think you could come?" .......


So, how cool would it be to live surrounded by unrivaled beauty, where nomads and adventure-seekers alike flock to experience just how small they are in the grandeur of the eiptome of creation? I bet it would be rockin'.


I had been planning on going to Italy to job search at the end of February. Yet, the Patagonian Expedition Race is in February, and it would be best if I could go as soon as possible before all the craziness of the race time. The internship is at least 3 months, and I can decide if I would want to stay longer. It is unpaid, and they provide housing and all meals. I would just have to buy the plane ticket down there, which IS a pretty penny.


Sooooo, as of right now, I'm not sure what I will do. I'm just blown away by the reality of actually being offered this position, and trying to discern if it's definitely what I want to do right now. Also, I'm thinking of if I have the money to do this. Hmmm......


No comments: